Including our loved ones in cooking and other activities in the kitchen is a great way to stimulate interest for those living with dementia. Choosing easy recipes, modifying, dividing tasks, and prioritizing safety can help caregivers and family members avoid hazards in the kitchen. Just because someone has dementia does not mean they can’t experience the joys of cooking. Here are some dementia friendly ideas!
- Baking miniature pizzas allows us to choose our ingredients and personalize our experience. Pre-made pizza dough can be bought at most grocery stores and any toppings or sauce you’d like to add. You can also try flatbread or naan bread as the base.
- Add common ingredients like tomato sauce, pepperoni, bacon, onion, peppers, pineapples, mushrooms, black olives, mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes etc.
- Kneading dough is a great sensory activity for someone with dementia. Remember to be extra cautious around the oven. Putting the pizza in the oven is a task best suited for a caregiver or family member. Sandwiches.
- Like pizza, sandwiches provide an opportunity to be creative and choose from a variety of fillings; the combinations are almost endless. Sandwiches also do not require any cooking.
- You could try something traditional like a BLT, ham, or tuna sandwich. Or, you could try something different like a steak (make before hand), Italian or veggie sandwich.
- Some ingredients may involve peeling or cutting and caregivers should handle these or prep before hand. Otherwise, safety peelers and proper gloves can aide someone with dementia and keep them involved in the whole process.
- This is one of the safest activities in the kitchen that a person with dementia can easily do. There are many options and combinations to choose from and the colours, smells, textures, and looks are very pleasing.
- Any fruit that needs to be cut or peeled should be done by a caregiver or supervised with the appropriate equipment.
- Ingredients may include watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, strawberries, apple etc.